Kashunuk Village (historical) is a populated place feature (populated place) in Kusilvak (CA) Borough.
In the Maps and Aerial Photos section below, you'll find links to: (1) Local area photos around Kashunuk Village (historical), (2) A listing of the nearest hotels to Kashunuk Village (historical) and (3) Driving Directions to Kashunuk Village (historical) from almost anywhere. The location of Kashunuk Village (historical) is marked on an interactive map. The map can be searched by either business name or business category.
|Feature Name:||Kashunuk Village (historical)|
|Category:||Alaska physical, cultural and historic features|
|Feature Type:||Populated Place|
|Description:||at mouth of Kashunuk River, Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta.|
|History:||Abandoned Eskimo village first reported by E. W. Nelson, U. S. Signal Service, who visited there in December 1878. He reported 20 houses and a population of 100-200. In the 1880 Census, Petroff wrote "Kashunok" and reported a population of 125. The 1890 Census called it "Kashunahmiut" and gave a population of 232. In 1951 a U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS) field report noted this place was completely abandoned but several sod huts and the ruins of a frame church still remain on a low mound just east of the village. The triangulation station Kashu, 1951 is located in the village. The adjective "Old" is now generally used locally as part of the name.|
|Borough:||Kusilvak (CA) Borough|