Arctic City (historical) is a populated place feature (populated place) in Yukon-Koyukuk (CA) Borough.
Sorry, no local resorces for this location!
|Feature Name:||Arctic City (historical)|
|Category:||Alaska physical, cultural and historic features|
|Feature Type:||Populated Place|
|Description:||site of Indian village, on right bank of Koyukuk River, opposite mouth of Kanuti River|
|History:||This was once one of the largest Koyukuk Indian villages on the river. It was named "Moses Village" for the Indian chief "Moses", by prospectors about 1897. Archdeacon Stuck (1917, p. 328) wrote "a road-house and a store turned it from 'Moses Village' to 'Arctic City' when the mail trail from Tanana reached the Koyukuk at that point, but store and road-house and Indian are alike gone some twelve miles up (to Allakaket)."|
|Borough:||Yukon-Koyukuk (CA) Borough|
(10.9 miles NE)
(12.6 miles NE)
New Allakaket, AK
(11.6 miles ENE)
(12.1 miles NE)