Shelton (historical) is a populated place feature (populated place) in Nome (CA) Borough.
Sorry, no local resorces for this location!
|Feature Name:||Shelton (historical)|
|Category:||Alaska physical, cultural and historic features|
|Feature Type:||Populated Place|
|Description:||along right bank of Kuzitrin River, 45 mi. E of Teller and 53 mi. NE of Nome, Seward Peninsula High.|
|History:||The settlement of Lanes Landing was established about 1901 at the ford where the trail from Nome to the Kougarok gold mining region crossed the Kuzitrin River. The settlement was probably named for Charles D. Lane, who started building the Seward Peninsula Railroad at Nome in 1900 and completed it to here in 1906 (Cole, 1953, p. 13). In 1907 the Shelton Post Office was established here and the village picked up the name. Balcom (1965, p. 30) states that Shelton "was active from 1907 to 1918," the same year the post office was discontinued.|
|Borough:||Nome (CA) Borough|
Marys Igloo, AK
(9 miles SW)
Pilgrim Springs, AK (9.7 miles SSW)
Dahl, AK (10.1 miles NNE)
New Igloo, AK
(12.2 miles SW)
Davidsons Landing, AK (13.2 miles W)
Iron Creek, AK (18.7 miles SSE)